In partnership with the ASP, Sustainable Surf has developed a set of green guidelines allowing contest organizers to propose ocean friendly events.
By getting the Roxy Pro Biarritz and Quiksilver Pro France certified as deep blue surfing event, Quiksilver and Roxy are committed to reduce their events environmental impacts on their playground.
This certification is organized around 5 main categories of environmental impacts:
- Waste management
- Climate change
- Community support
Even if the Roxy Pro Biarritz is reported to September, the following initiatives have been implemented on the competition site at the Côte des Basques:
- In order to reduce waste production, Reusable glass were provided all along the event
- All tarpaulins from the event are recycled into bags that you can buy in some of European Boardriders store (list available here)
- Waste management on the event site has been handled by our historical partner Aremacs. Their teams have raised spectators awareness and have make sure that waste sorting instructions were respected
- We have used large water container in order to reduce the use of single plastic bottle
- Roxy has encouraged spectators to use collective transport to get to the event by communicating the timetable of the free shuttles provided by Biarritz Town hall and by registering the event on a carpooling website
- A carbon footprint of the event is going to be realized in order to identify future way of reducing our carbon emissions
- The Roxy Pro has hosted a charity shop all along the event. Money rose thanks to the purchase of Roxy Pro spectators were given to the french NGO fighting against breast cancer le cancer du sein parlons en !
- The Keep a Breast Foundation was invited inside the charity shop to sensitize the public on the importance of breast screening
- Surfrider Foundation Europe was on site all along the event to raise spectators awareness on ocean protection through offbeat happenings
- By partnering with “l’atelier du gobelet” and “Kokolo”, The Quiksilver and Roxy initiative support disabled workers employment in the French Basque country
- Dishes proposed throughout the event were made from seasonal and organic fruits and vegetables
As we want to evaluate the global impact of the event, the final report will be edited once the Roxy pro and Quiksilver Pro France are over.